Preschool, grapes, and other excitement!!

4:14 PM Edit This 16 Comments »
After much agonizing over what to do with Kelman, I finally decided to start him in Preschool. Kelman has been experiencing a lot of anxiety, especially socially. He is still not real comfortable and happy in his primary class of two years. I had him evaluated with the Preschool Intervention Program, because of our concerns. We had wondered if he maybe had PDD (Pervasive Development Disorder), which is under the Autism spectrum. After some observation, the counselor concluded that Kelman must just have an Anxiety Disorder (not formally diagnosed though). I had been trying to get Kelman into preschool, although I was concerned how he would go to class without me. I figured he would just cry and cling to me for days; which is why he needed it even more so we wouldn't have to go through that during Kindergarten. Anyhow...I got a letter in the mail last week saying there was an opening at one of the preschools. Kelman had his first day on Friday, and he LOVED it. I had to stay the first half and then he allowed me to leave. All weekend, he was asking when he'd get to go back. Today he walked right in and didn't need me at all. Both days when I've gone to pick him up, his hair is all sweaty and messy from playing hard. I'm so excited!!! Some preschool was all he needed. He's still not a fan of church, because he says it's boring. He either cries or acts up. I think if they had some games and activities in there it might help. Any ideas of how to address that???
Unfortunately, preschool came up kind of last minute, so I didn't get any pictures until today after school.


Another exciting thing happened this weekend..... We borrowed my mom's fun sprinkler hose thingy for the kids to get wet and play with. We all got in our swimsuits and ran through it and swung on the swing set. While playing outside, I noticed we got some beautiful purple grapes from our grapevine!! I've never done grapes before, so I thought they were long gone since the leaves were turning brown. But finally, the grapes turned from green to purple and are edible! YAY!!! Hopefully we'll get even more next year.



Brechin

Saturday night I got to go to dinner and the Relief Society broadcast with my mom. We had a good time and the waitress at Applebee's was GREAT! We told her we were in a hurry, and we didn't have to wait for a single thing! It was wonderful. When I got home, Aaron was out in the family room and I found the twins asleep in the hallway. they had dragged their blankets and pillows out into the hall and fell asleep there together. I thought it was adorable.


That's about it for excitement for us. Oh yeah...except that we're gonna have a baby!!! I've been feeling healthy and strong and decided I was ready to go this road again. I feel really happy and confident that everything is going to be okay! That's about it for us.

16 comments:

stubz said...

What a post! Lots of good news. After listening to the news all day it was refreshing. Kind of funny how grapes took priority over pregnancy. I'm excited for you.

Jared and Debbie said...

Wow, wow, wow!! How wonderful!! to all of it! I'm so glad Kelman is loving preschool. My little nephew had a lot of the same anxieties. Preschool was just what he needed as well and now, he is in Kindergarten heaven. Apples and grapes...so great. I love how productive you guys are making your little yard! The pictures of the boys, all three, are so cute! And of course your best for last :) news was so good to hear! We love you guys!

J and C said...

You arecrazy! J/k well, not really.....good luck with this baby, and as always you and baby will be in our prayers! when is the big day?

mastubz said...

Congrats, Emily and Aaron. I will go up to Staples and get you an Easy Button! I want a grape!! Thanks for dinner tonight :)

emaalyon said...

Real nice ma! haha

meg.. said...

Congrats Em! And of course, I'm cracking up at Mom's comment. lol Glad things are working out with Kelman and preschool as well. Hopefully it will be just what he needs.

Pyatt said...

Congrats on the pregnancy. What an exciting time for you guys!! You'll be in our prayers.

Trisha said...

I've been Primary a long time and I think the Presidency needs to address the fact that every age group has different needs. Most teachers don't reas the info in the front of the manual that addresses this. His age needs constant change to keep them interested-about every 5 minutes or so. i would come up with fun games or classic games with a twist to suit the lesson. We would do stretches and the games,a story, a project and I would give plenty of time to share things that happened over the week. Of course there was music involved and singing. I had tons of fun! If you don't feel comfortable brinign it up with the teacher, talk to the presidency of the bishopric.
As far as all the rest...your family is sure exciting! I love reading and catching up with all of you.

Rearun said...

Congratulations Aaron and Emily. I'm glad Kelman got into preschool. He'll have so much fun.

Michelle said...

Yay for the Lyons! We sure love you and are so happy that things are going well. Lots of hugs to everyone!

Shoebox Princess said...

Congratulations!

Kids sleeping in the hall=WAY funny (and cute)

I had a child that found church "boring" too. Jimmy was diagnosed with ADD and hated church for a long time. It was a long haul, but he's now 16 and hates to miss church (we have the young women to partially thank for it). Our way of dealing with it was to keep taking him to church (there were many times when I wanted to give up and just stay home with him) and to have regular family home evening.

Krystal said...

yeah! that is such great news for your guys! i am so excited for you. kai just got evaluated for early intervention preschool here too. he was able to get in and starts on monday. we aren't quite sure what his issues stem from. whether he is just delayed or has a disorder we are not sure. i think preschool will really help us figure it out. he is very smart but he has very delayed speech..i think that causes most of his other delays. he gives eye contact and is very loving and cuddly so he's not autisitic. i have wondered about pdd though. anyways we should def. keep each other informed:)

Krystal said...

oh and with the church thing. we have to teach kai's class for that reason. we just fill the time with lots of fun games that relate to the lesson and we always take a walk outside and to the water fountain. i know it can be frustrating..kai had a nursery teacher that only let them play for the first 10 minutes! then it was clean up and leson lesson lesson! i just asked to have him switched to another class.

Jenni said...

When I saw the grapes, I wondered if there was going to be some wine making. Glad to hear that you are just eating the. Jelly also sounds like a good option. Congrats on your new news. Prayers with you.

Celestia said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for Kelman, and am so happy for your family and this new blessing!

Summer Carlile said...

Hey Emily I got a blog now. And I picture tagged you so now you are going to have to check out my blog to read what you have to do.